Friday, September 21, 2007

A Dissertation on Cell Phone Etiquette, applicable to all parts of the world.

A few thoughts on Technology in the Developing World:
Cell phones. Now, some of you may or may not know that my pet peeve is answering the cell or responding to a text in front of others. I have been guilty it of course - its hard when its blaring at you and you know its your mom....- but it has been emphasized to me over and over again, how exclusive it is when you answer and someone else awkwardly stands there, pretending to look at whatever happens to be just over their shoulder, so that its not completely obvious that they are hearing every word. Desperately, they grasp for anything on which to focus. "Hm, look at all that grass over there....sure is a lot of grass....wow, whoever Jimmy is talking to sounds pretty cheesed...I wonder if its about that thing that he mentioned when Doug called five minutes ago....uh, grass, right lots of ... grass...oh, there is even a duck. Ducks are nice. Jimmy's friend... hurumph, not so nice as that duck..."

[Editors note: all internal monologues should be read with a British accent, unless otherwise specified. Generally, John Cleese does my audio, but on occasion I have found either Bob OR Margaret to be quite good as well if you need a referral. Her Royal Highness is, of course, reserved for special occasions].

But this is the developing world right? Surely people aren't as attached to their phones here like they are back home. Or not. You find yourself sitting in a restaurant surrounded by four other people and realize you are the only one NOT checking your text messages. You can't, because your phone is at home. Then you get the feeling of self-satisfaction that you are not as dependent on external applications to make your social life seem more full. This feeling is soon overshadowed by wallowing in self-pity that even when you did have your cell phone with you earlier (before the battery gave out because you forgot to charge it), no one had texted you all day.
Waahn Waaaaahn.
Welcome to the glamour of working in Nicaragua- scratch that, ANYWHERE.

3 Comments:

At 10:44 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

as you're well aware, my internal monologues are ostensibly in a soft irish lilt. i am surprised by the british.....seems rather dulllll if you ask me :D
all my love, s

 
At 12:38 p.m. , Blogger Kiki said...

Not dull dear, just respectable. It is, after all, THEIR language, i think that counts towards some sort of preference.
On a side note, I was asked what my eng-language favourite accent was, and I replied a toss up between Scottish and Irish, and thought of you with a blithe, bonny smile.
however i heard a Kiwi preacher that gave them a good reputation this weekend.
Have I ever told you I have an weakness for accents...????

 
At 9:53 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOu? Weakness for accents? I NEVER would have guessed :P Yes, the kiwi accent is quite acceptable....i guess the english can have their language.....but I concur with the Scottish/Irish toss-up. It is a debate that I guess will never be answered until I find out whether my husband is Scottish or Irish! Right?!?! RIGHT! Kiki Kiwi. Kiwi Kiki. Kikikiwikikiwkiwiwiw. Ok, i'm done :)
all my love, s

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home