Thursday, September 06, 2007

Notes on Chepe and Shane

So another day, another dollar. I am slowly getting familiar with my surroundings. And by that I mean our apartment. Now I mentioned yesterday how our wonderful caretaker showed me what that mysterious knob under the toilet tank was for (thus letting the blessed waters flow abundantly- but not too abundantly, all within moderation of course). Today, I was in the shower and thoughtfully gazing at these little black things that seem littered around the nether-regions of our bedroom and bathroom. At first I thought they were dead Nicaraguan flies, but now, upon closer inspection, I have decided they are iguana poop. I have yet to see an iguana, however I have seen a gecko, and these seem a little large for his little body, ergo, it must be, from the phantom iguana. I will name him Chepe Alvarez, the Phantom Iguana. We will live in harmony, since his poop has not, as of yet, proliferated profusely, not is it particularly dirty. He's a very tidy little iguana. I say little because his poop, is not very large either, certainly bigger than could be produced by a gecko, but smaller than normal iguanas. He was the runt of the litter, poor Chepe.

On a serious note, I was reading The Irresistible Revolution on the way here, and its been quite challenging to the way I live my life. Its funny you know, because I have thought about many of the same scriptural references that the author, Shane Claiborne mentions (like the time where Jesus tells the rich young man to go, sell all that he has and give to the poor, then come and follow him -Matt 19:16-22). Sometimes I have thought, maybe we are supposed to take this literally. But I have never followed through. Now comes along this book about a group in the Church who has, and the blessings are mammoth, both for themselves and for those in the community around them. The difficulties are somehow "pure." They are crying over things that matter, that are worthy. Its just so exciting, you want to get in on it. If you want a copy, I am sure Jon Morrison can give you one (ps, Jon, I took your book to Nicaragua... sorry (...ish)'bout that. I'll bring it back, in eight months, give or take, but I don't feel too bad, considering the author left a quote in the introduction something along the lines of: "if you bought this book, dear reader, I thank you; if you borrowed it, I honour your frugality; if you stole it, may it add to your confusion." I think I am more confused about who would be the type to steal a book from a store).

Well, on that note, I will say, keep checking, i love the comments!! and also, check it soon, as my roommate will soon have a youtube link for the lightening storm we experienced in the plan down on our way through Honduras and Nica.
That is all. Good talk.

2 Comments:

At 2:08 p.m. , Blogger Jonny Mo said...

I can't believe you stole my book.

Well that is my gift to you Kiki.

Problem with reading that book is that you become so busy doing what he talks about that you don't have any time to hang out with the friends that are dear to your heart.

You are a friend of the revolution. Have a great time down there.

 
At 2:23 p.m. , Blogger Jacqi O! said...

I was reading about Felix in BBC news...oh dear! The devastation is huge! Do you see a lot of damage where you are? Is your house ok? (The BBC is the only way I get news so forgive me if I am late in asking...Daniel and I don't have TV) :o)

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home