Wednesday, September 05, 2007

En Managua por la primera vez

Bienvenidos a Nicaragua!
Thank you Augosto C. Sandino (or at least the folks running your airport who thought to put that giant sign up).
I am here in Managua, Nicaragua for seven months as the MedaTrust field coordinator, an internship position with MEDA (for those of you who needed to be caught up). What that means exactly... I have no clue at this point (I am not sure if I am supposed to admit soemthing like that in such a public forum, but I think the only person currently reading this is, once again, my mom- Hi mom!). I am starting to feel like my feet are on the ground a bit. They are more than they were yesterday as I flew through lightening storms from Honduras down (gracias, Hurricane Felix). Our arrival was greeted by a torrential downpour (did I actually leave Vancouver?). But the morning always brings a different word. It was cloudy still but just as muggy and warm (a balmy 28 degrees currently) and I was able to see that there are palm trees every two feet, bougainvillea-covered walls and the office I work in has a beautiful lush garden to eat lunch in every day. Ok, so it can't be that bad right?
I am pretty overwhelmed though, which is a natural reaction when even your most basic needs are suddenly turned upside down. On the one hand, I don't really even know where to get food. On the other, I couldn't figure out the toilet (you never know when you are out of your own country, maybe flushing isn't standard procedure around here). Toilet has been taken care of with the help of our very nice guard. And the food we are going to take care of that this afternoon. However, for a moment, knowing you are totally dependent on others, and some of whom you have trouble communicating with, is a strange feeling after having been completely immersed in the spirit of independence of North America. Its probably not a bad thing to shake it up once in a while, because after all we are told "to be joyful always, praying continually and give thanks in every situation" (1 Thess. 5:16).
I am very thankful for order-in lunch, for Santiago the guard, and having Wendy here to show me around today.
I am praying for confidence and peace about how to carry out these next seven months, and also for Santiago to figure out the problem with our air conditioner.
And I rejoice in pollo y arroz for lunch.

4 Comments:

At 2:45 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I'm not your mom...but I'm reading it!!!!!! I LOAF YOU Catherine! ANd I am SOOOO excited that your world is being shaken of its independence! Leaves a whole lotta room for Jesus :) Thinking of you and praying for you.

 
At 4:36 p.m. , Blogger Jacqi O! said...

Oh Kiks, so many adventures ahead of you! I can't wait to read more!Love you.

 
At 8:10 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

kiki! i'm super excited for you and hereby pledge to read your fabulous blogs every day!! yes, that sounds nice, a cup of coffee and kiki every morning. anyways, how is everything there? i keep reading about the death toll from felix! glad you missed it all!

 
At 8:14 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Chicken and rice are great and so are you!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home