Tuesday, November 04, 2008

Alfa and Beto ride again!

While all I could find on the news seemed to be the Election that Wouldn't End, I also saw this tucked away and am, instantly, thrilled. Click the title of my post for the full article from the NY Times ("but what papers do you read? can you name one for us?" ah, it just doesn't get old).

I think I have mentioned this here before, but in the past I have considered a wide-range of possible careers (UN ambassador to Uganda, South East Asian rice farmer, Prime minister, back-up dancing for Chayanne to name a few). I think that when this guy retires, I will offer to be his protege. Who doesn't want to carry books to read with neighbours, travelling around on donkeys named "alfa" and "beto"??

They draw an interesting parallel/connection with Garcia Marquez- whom I also love- that is slightly humbling eh? What is awesome- latent- leadership out there on donkeys and not on Facebook in Belzberg library at the moment... I just wonder how guys like this are still living on $350/mo and yet others much less passionate are running mncs, countries, universities and news stations. Not that I am saying that our leaders are all dispassionate and soulless jerks. What I am saying is that I want more of these guys in the world. And less me's (as a representative member of mass-academia) sitting on facebook all afternoon.

Uh, but without the internet, how would I have even known and how would I have told you? Isn't it ironic. I'm off to read a book.

2 Comments:

At 3:28 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

it's like raiiiiiin on your wedding day, it's a freeee ride when you've already paid, it's some good advice that you just can't take, and who would have thought...it figures!!!!

 
At 3:29 p.m. , Blogger Kiki said...

It is sort of like meeting the man of your dreams...
and then meeting his BEAUTIFUL wife.
And isn't it ironic?
Dontcha think?

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home