Friday, October 17, 2008

Anyone have Mr. Dressup's number?

Ok, so I know there are far more important things on my mind than Halloween costumes and waaaay more has happened in the last month since the previous post that had much more to do with externalities, complementarities, capabilities and functionalities in the developing world. There has been a whole lot of nonsense about the Korean and Indian developmental states, political unrest of the 1970s in Cairo and a disproportionate amount of discussion and thought on economic incentives for growth not regression.

But, none of that matters right now! Even less so, the global agribusiness supply chain, the research on which is verily engrossing. As fascinating as propounding to you, dearest, loveliest reader, what that all entails, I am wholly consumed with a new challenge. Not world income inequality- sure that’s important, but it has waited since the industrial revolution, so why push it now? And global food supply is indeed pressing, but I mean, come on, that’s why they call them convenience stores. No, the issue that is burning in me enough to put the pen to paper (or key to pad?) is what I should wear.

Stick with me… I am not completely shallow (…tilts head… pause… resume). Guys! I just got invited to a Halloween party and this may be the first time for a dress-up bash in several years, so it’s game on. I have to take this seriously, because I am a serious adult now. I can’t really say that in the heyday of my youth my costumes were much to be respected. The pinnacle of that period being the costume party for valentine’s day- I know, right there is your problem, who dresses up for Valentine’s day? And the information I am to release to you cannot henceforth be used ever to ridicule or deride me not in private and under no circumstance in public, particularly a public populated by nice eligible young men. I tell you- the wide world web- all of this in the strictest of confidence.

Brace yourself:

I attended dressed as a valentine’s card store. No word of a lie. I taped valentines and heart-shaped cards to my red mock turtle neck and stapled heart cutouts to my snazzy stirrup pants (oh like you all didn't wear them too). I was 8. It was my birthday. I still insist that I get away with whatever the tarnation I want to because it’s my birthday on v-day. But this is October, so no dice with that excuse. We gotta bring it.

So, suggestions for a costume idea would be appreciated. In formulating your proposals, here are some that shall categorically not be entertained:

- A valentine’s card store

- A slutty barista

- Costumes that involve an unnecessarily wide girth- I need relative freedom of movement.

- A slutty electrician

- Anything involving fake teeth- I intend to eat all the single reese cups I can get my hands on.

- A slutty construction worker

- Rubber masks and cake makeup will be strictly forbidden- they make my cheeks puffy.

- Frankenstein. Please. That’s the best you’ve got?

- A slutty anything

- A pumpkin- my hair is red, not orange.

6 Comments:

At 11:52 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I HAVE A PUMPKIN COSTUME!
And I WOULD lend you the green spandex but SOMEONE's HOARDING THEM IN VICTORIA cough *jessi* cough. I THINK WE SHOULD BE MATCHING TENNIS PLAYERS. but not the slutty kind. The kind where your skirts are to the knee ;)

ps...i love how I automtically referred to what WE should be, even if we're not at the same party we should AT LEAST have that connection!

 
At 2:26 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Suggestions:
- A three hole punch (Jim Halpert can't be wrong).
- An intern (I hear that's a pretty stellar costume).
- Mafia/detective (I just know how much you love hats-- I'm thinking trench coat, fedora..., and OK that's what I always wanted to be when I grew up).

 
At 3:59 p.m. , Blogger Kiki said...

A THREE HOLE PUNCH.
DONE... but how???

 
At 7:22 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Well, you could be a three hole punch version of Jim, or a three hole punch version of Kiki; it's really quite simple.

http://www.confessions123.com/blog/3holejim.JPG

(apparently, though, in googling said image, it became obvious that this is a fairly popular Hallowe'en theme...)

 
At 7:45 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Of course you will NOT be a slutty anything. It wouldn't even enter your mind, I know. And it would be so out of character pause oh perhaps that was what you were going for? Ugh ending on a preposition. Love Mom

 
At 10:36 a.m. , Blogger Heather said...

hey Kiki,
Thanks for the comment! I must say, you are quite famous around here. I went to Matrix a few weeks back, and ran into quite a few people who knew you, and were "best friends" with Kiki. Mary? Anyway.. just wanted to say that your reputation lives on, and that Nicaragua misses you. What are you up to now???

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home