Monday, December 31, 2007

2007 melds into 2008

Deep Thoughts for the last day of 2007:

These are the things that come into my head while (attempting) meditation:

- Are coconuts a nut or a fruit? (“Botanically, they are a nut,” it turns out- shout out to Wikipedia)

- I still have a lingering academic distrust of Wikipedia. I mean I believe what I read on it, but then on the other hand, I feel like I need a more substantial journal to prove anything. But this is my blog and not Biology 490: Tropical Vascular Plants, so the wiki answer will suffice. This time.

- Why do I wear jeans here when I never did in Guatemala and it was cooler in Antigua than Managua is?

- How long can I go without washing my skinny jeans- I don’t want them to stretch out… Come to that, how long can I go without washing that sweatshirt I bought a week before coming here? I don’t want the fuzzy inside to go away…

o I only wear these items at night for short periods of time when it is cooler and I am not doing a lot of activity, hence they are generally spared any excessive sweat or dirt. Its not THAT gross... i don't think.

- Why do people travel during the holidays? This is a serious irony- consider: the first Christmas was an imposed travel for the Holy Family. I bet Mary was just thrilled about hopping in the family donkey at nine months and having some quality time with several tens of thousands of her closest relatives. And yet we choose to run around like madmen battling airlines (I’d rather walk than take Atlantic after all the horror stories I’ve heard now- trust me, if you ever go to the Corn Islands, take La Costeña, you will thank me).

And now for something truly original:

So, what will this year hold? Let’s forget New Year’s Resolutions, shall we? Let instead have a few 2008 Wildest Dreams- which I don’t actually think are really that wild after all, just the dream of me being motivated and ambitious enough to carry them out is…

1) Write a book (working title so far: “You can’t make this stuff up” …. And that’s about all I got).

2) Do a photo exhibit. I have a concept at least. Let’s get some friends together and make this happen. It doesn’t have to be a big deal, but why the heck not? By the way, when am I allowed to call myself a photographer? Once I have sold a photo? I got one on a travel site- but they use it for free, does that count?

3) Do another crazy road trip- Tacos in Tijuana- the Sequel or somewhere I haven’t been, like the eastern seaboard. Or Montana. Solid, dear friends may apply for traveling companion vacancies. Ability to read aloud to driver while in a moving vehicle and shared musical tastes are preferable.

4) Learn how to use a strobe. I am jealous of some people’s photos.

5) Go to more shows- like the one we went to for my birthday last year at the Media Club. That was a very happy memory from 2007. Not really an impressive dream or reaching for the stars, but I think when you find something that works, its important to keep it up. It will provide that necessary elements for sanity to carry out the bigger items.

I think that's plenty. Too many even. Let’s not over-do it.

It’s a simple to-do list. Resolutions are kind of personal, and far more meditative, and more outwardly focussed and... much more profound than I am able to come up with at this moment. I feel like I should have a list of truly thought-provoking and encouraging items for self- and community- improvement.

And just what is the difference between January 1st and, say, April 19th or September 3rd? March 12th for that matter? I used to always hate those creative writing exercises in elementary school where you had to write out your new year’s resolutions, because I never really made any, and knew that if I did, they weren’t going to stick just because of the date on which they were made. I've always been quite fond of March 12th come to think of it...

Well I am a real champ for New Year's festivity, aren't I? Maybe I've always had it in for New Years though. I don't want to start something off that I won't finish- not a project- a year. Why start it in a manner that I do not intend to carry out all year round? My roommate said something to me today- I was talking about how I am not the biggest fan of the crazy New year's parties and she pointed out that it all those did was make you start off the New Year tired, and that seems a bit contrary to the point making a big deal of starting the year off with a bang now doesn't it?

Am I Over-thinking again....? Mayhaps. I think for now, i will go clean the bathroom and have a snack. its these little steps that are so integral to getting that book written and all those other big items ticked off the list!

10 Comments:

At 11:56 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I HEAR YOU ON THE LAUNDRY CATHERINE! I say, it's not yet time to launder your sweater. It hasn't been 6 months. The sweatshirt I bought in Sweden was never washed there :D Heck, i never wash ANYTHING and look at how well i turned out!!!!!!!!!

 
At 5:34 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Montana, eh?

 
At 5:55 p.m. , Blogger Kiki said...

@Susan: Thank you for your support. You know I couldn't survive without your readership and loyalty.

@Romo: well you know... I've heard its nice most times of the year...slash a suitable travelling partner sometimes goes there...

 
At 11:25 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I am thinking the dissertation on laundry is probably more than we wanted to know. Inquiring minds aside. A little mystery is a good thing. Sort of like the old adage
"the way to a man's heart is through his stomach." It works. Let's face i,the way to MY heart is through my stomach. So there is a truth for all time. Love Mom

 
At 8:59 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

ps. i'm thinking of quitting my job just so that I can traipse around ANYWHERE with you and just be your little kiki guinea pig. i think that would be fun :)

 
At 10:17 a.m. , Blogger Kiki said...

Do it! Quit! work is SOOO over-rated! work from abraod! all you need is an internet cafe, some scrap pieces of paper and a pipe cleaner- those pipe cleaners are always essential.

 
At 2:11 a.m. , Blogger Rach said...

please do write a book... with your humour you'll have me in stitches the whole time! Glad to hear things are going well and you're getting into the culture of skinny jeans etc. Met a MEDA guy on the recent MEDA tour group who knew you all... helped me feel connected from Egypt! Best as you continue in your work and gorgeous photography!

 
At 2:12 a.m. , Blogger Rach said...

ah now his name's come back - Fred Wall... wonderful man!

 
At 10:12 p.m. , Blogger jenn said...

oh wash yer clothes, ya lazy scavenger!

now that that's over... i have a christmas present for you but i'm afraid to trust the mailing system. does mail ever make it's way to nica? i do believe that i will try, even in vain, in hopes that one day it will reach you.

p.s. i love you (and no, that's not just the name of a movie - but it can be if you dont love me back)

 
At 10:55 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i think 10 is the number of comments after which it is blogger etiquetter and precedent that you write another blog.........so.........i'm waiting sparky.

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home