Wednesday, September 06, 2006

A few notes from the gallery

Saturday, September 6, 2006- (everyday is a Saturday except Sundays when you are retired).
Day two of retirement and I already have wisdom to pass on: when getting over the stomach flu there are two things which the gallery does not recommend one consume: a) pizza; b) coffee- esp. in the copious quantities that the gallery has been accustomed to consuming in its own experience.

That aside, I am having quite a nice day. Yesterday I woke up with the remaining vestiges of the stomach ache that made me sleep for the 18 hours since I had finally rolled into home. I also had the vestiges of that sinking feeling of boredom, fear and anxious anticipation of what these next months may hold for me. I believe the unpacking had something to do with it. I despise unpacking almost as much, though not quite, as I do packing. But there is something about unpacking that causes it to be replete with drudgery -insert emotional baggage pun here.
Anyhow, I was reading The Alchemist today, as I have decided to get off my little butt and read more. This is due to the guilt created by waking up to a room full of books I have yet to read and a wish-list I have yet to buy. I came upon this quote which I furnish for you now as it has shed some light on how I am able to wholeheartedly embrace my "retirement" and pretend as though the world of needing money/meaningful occupation doesn't exist for the next little bit:
Santiago is a shepherd boy who is standing in Tangier deciding whether to continue on his journey on which he has been sent or to give it all up and go back to sheep-herding in Spain:
"I know why I want to get back to my flock, he thought. I understand sheep; they're no longer a problem, and they can be good friends. On the other hand, I don't know if the desert can be a friend, and its in the desert that I have to search for my treasure."
I thought that fit nicely. So for all you who are waking up in the same boat- let's not be afraid of the desert, I have a feeling that it could actually be quite friendly- powerful, yet friendly.

7 Comments:

At 1:12 a.m. , Blogger Sharelle said...

welcome home my friend.
i have this sneaking suspicion that retirement might involve a few trips to the ol' TWU.
am i right?
if you checked "yes", feel free to contact me.
i will be there.
all the time.
literally....

 
At 10:51 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

I was just searching blogspot.com for people named Kiki, and your blog came up. I am thoroughly impressed by the quality of your content (though not impressed by the lack of reference to me...), and I have just bookmarked your page on my office computer. Here's to many more hours of stalking you. Cheers, love.

 
At 11:02 a.m. , Blogger Kiki said...

well its about bloody time someone commented on this blog! i was about to give up entirely- i said to myself, 'self, if no one comments by today, we're scrapping the whole deal and moving permanently to xanga.' Now Sharelle and S.Pat, you may credit yourselves as having single-handedly saved my blog from certain anhilation. well done.

 
At 7:04 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

YOu are ridonculous! Luv ya ... Ry... PS I be back in Van the last weekend in Sept for sure!

 
At 9:41 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

LAST WEEKEND IN SEPTEMBER FO SO!!!!!!!!!!!!! YEA RY RY!!!!!!!!!!!!
BOWLING AND WHITE SPOT THANKS YOU!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

 
At 10:56 a.m. , Blogger Unknown said...

Who's afraid of dessert? Not me.

 
At 12:46 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hey Kiki,

Sam here, I have a question for you. I am considering going abroad to teach english, and I remember you telling me that your brother did that. Do you know which organization he went through?
Thanks, hope all is well

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home