Wednesday, April 16, 2008

The New Digs: Not a bad scene...



I moved yesterday. In about twenty minutes. To what I have christened the "German Gungle." Three big houses owned by ex-pat Germans and three little casitas, inhabited by one central american couple, a german-nica couple and then me, right in the middle. Incidentally, the place is a lush tropical garden hideaway. Infested with lush tropical bugs. I nearly died this morning from a heart attack when a centipede dropped out of the towel I had been holding for five minutes. They are, ahem, poisonous. It took me five minutes of running-shoe smashing, heavy watering and the final finesse being a good spritz of raid to kill the thing (even when 80 % of his body was shmushed irrevocably into the stainless steel side, his head was still moving... ominous indeed), but I did it. And I did not cry. I wanted to, but I did not. I did yelp.
Yes, I am a merciless insect killer. Sometimes I wonder if its necessary- before I knew what they were that that they were poisonous, I killed them because they were ugly. Don't judge me, in the words of Jack Nicholson from a Few Good Men: "I have neither the time nor the inclination to explain myself to a man who rises and sleeps under the blanket of the very freedom I provide and then questions the manner in which I provide it."
They really should offer training for this sort of thing upon entrance to these countries. Monday morning I woke up with a worm in my bed. It was harmless, but of course I have heard horror stories about long writhing worms that do not die and are creatures of malicious peril and imminent danger. So that one had to go too. I showed it to Santiago after, and of course, was reassured that it was not the cien-pie I had been fearing and was just days away from finally facing.
How was I supposed to know that you could actually SEE the feet of a centipede?
So, why do I share this with you dear reader? Because as I don't want you to fall into temptation of covetousness and envy. Yes, I live in a lush tropical paradise with mango, jocote and banana trees- that large one might very well be avocado- but this is only for the strong, the brave.

I will, ahem, be investing in more screens and raid tonight. No harm in preparing...

5 Comments:

At 9:31 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i appreciate the insect stories to tone down the jealousy. because I was seething after the pictures, but now i'm manageable!!!!!!!!

 
At 9:40 a.m. , Blogger Kiki said...

I know, I know... i know you all so well.

 
At 2:30 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Thank-you for the pictures. It looks darling and that makes me feel better about your living without walls around the compound. I don't know why the aesthetics should make up for the lack of security. I know, I know, there is a "vigilante" - I believe is the word. But I would still like walls like the other place. However, in spite of the small animal problem you seem keen. And you know the old story, when you're happy we're happy. Love Mom - Hi Susan, got your letter will be in touch tout de suite or later even.

 
At 7:29 p.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hi mom! I am glad you got the letter! We will talk when we host the the Kiki welcome home party :) And I agree with you...when Catherine is happy, so am!!!!!!!!

 
At 7:03 p.m. , Blogger Stephanie said...

Nice digs keeks! I will be sure to check out your pad the next time peel myself away from semi-fresco Matagalpa and make the two hour journey to the horno of planet Earth, also known as Managua, Nicaragua. I miss you!!

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home