Friday, February 15, 2008

Love is a Moto Ride: Part 2

"Love is a Moto Ride" is the continuing story of love in a Central American country as expressed through a mode of transportation. For an introductory story, please refer to the previous post entitled "Love is a Bus Ride."

Yesterday, Feb. 14th, was my birthday- 24 little years have I. I think I will like 24 even better than 23.

I was born on Valentine's day. It's true. I've always said that is why I am a redhead. Yesterday was another one of those birthdays that just filled my heart with joy. I can't unequivocally say it was the best birthday ever, but it certainly was the most notable so far, thus beating out the 2003 heavyweight which has held that title undefeated for the last four years.

2003, let's all refresh our memory, was spent in Guatemala, between 'Guate' and San Pedro with my host family. I almost started crying when I realised my birthday dinner was going to be beans, rice and goat cheese- a meal that after a few short weeks in the country still gave me ahem "stomach issues." Guate food was good. That night, it was not. It was not a bad birthday, but it was definitely raro.

This year however, knocks 2003 off it's comfortable podium for a myriad of reasons.
First- 2008 is the first year to ever have furnished my skin with a sunburn. Not a point in it's favour for being the best birthday, but definitely a technical point for distinction. As the french judges would say, "You know, they took a chance, and eet was... not SO bad..."

Second- recovering the points for best birthday distinction category, the daylight hours of 2008 were spent almost entirely on a moto. Not only a moto in Nicaragua, but a moto riding through the crazy terrain of the departmento of Boaco, which is absolutely rugged and beautiful.

Third- In lieu of 2003's fatal goat cheese mistake, I was fed guajada at the home of one of our clients. guajada does not duele my estomago like the queso fresca of Guate and i really like it. I crave it often these days, but it is hard to find quality guajada in Managua. Boaco and Chontales are the two regions famous for making the best of the best.

I got to visit with some really cool clients too. That makes another 10 points.

I went home to a swimming pool which MORE than compensated for the burnt skin. Also the burn in and of itself pointed out something which I feel is worth noting: I've been here almost 6 months and this is the first burn in that entire time. That is quite a feat for any pallid little chela indeed.

After the swimming pool a very nice group of people came to make me feel special. That was awfully nice of them. Kendal even sang me the Medley from "Moulin Rouge." Oh sigh. My little heart went pitter patter.

Finally, 2003 did not include a Mariachi band, nor for that matter mariachi pants, of which i just can't get enough, and so cannot even possibly compete.

Thanks for making me feel special and loved even if you weren't in Managua/Teustepe with me. Happy dia del amor y amistad.

2 Comments:

At 1:03 a.m. , Anonymous Anonymous said...

i should hope that your favourite birthday included me.

 
At 4:11 p.m. , Blogger Kiki said...

well, thoughts of you at least...

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home