Tuesday, December 14, 2010

Home Jeeves!

I should clarify something: I like going out but I like being home too. In the early haze of consciousness this morning at about 6:14am a week or so ago, I was thinking about nice things that will happen because I get to spend Christmas in Vancouver. I could see my little, cosy apartment with it’s little, cosy Christmas tree and then my little, cosy neighbourhood with it’s little, cosy Christmas lights strung up and people in their cosy (not so little) parkas. And then I started thinking what a great place to be from Vancouver is – really! It’s got everything: mountains, ocean, coffee shops, I can ride the bus without having to call the driver first and see if he’s eaten lunch yet (having a chauffeur can be harder than it looks). And ever since the Olympics, Europeans know that it’s not near Quebec so we can’t speak French and Americans don’t say “oh, Washington huh?” Yep, we have finally arrived.

You know Vancouver is a great place to be from and it’s a great place to come home to. I may not spend my whole life there, but I had the thought that morning that I am so grateful it is home base – because I never have to justify the $3200 plane ticket. I can go any time. Of course, being from the South of France or Buenos Aires would probably be just as cool. I wonder if people from other places say to themselves “I wanna live in Vancouver – if only for a year” like Canadians do about Paris or somewhere hot. I am sure they do. In fact, the French probably have an inferiority complex about our style, what with our classic sleek yoga pants and reflective running gear and all…

So, I’ve packed my (one underweight!) bag and am once again setting off home. Maybe, since I know I am coming back, it is much more exciting to be going home. There is no denouement to the return, it's just a pause - the plot thickens, maybe even! There’s a small chance that I might not be as happy to get on a plane (as “happy” as I can be about that task), if I were going back to job searching and sitting in my little, cosy apartment for another 6 months. But I was never really discontent while doing that either. So, I think I’ll just make this short and sweet and to the point:

I’m thankful.

Punto.

Take me home, Jeeves!

1 Comments:

At 2:33 p.m. , Blogger sherolinnah said...

lovely note, looking forward to hear more......

 

Post a Comment

Subscribe to Post Comments [Atom]

<< Home